BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI prefix [Re: who gets a /32)

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu Nov 25 08:59:45 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 08:49 +0000, Ryan O'Connell wrote:
> On 25/11/2004 08:07, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
> >It is sourced from AS31459, which is the BBC R&D AS, thus might be
> >that it is still sort of experimental, but it is there.
> >
> >This also proves one big thing to all the people complaining about
> >getting a TLA. If the BBC can get it, any large organization can get
> >one. If you can't you simply do not network well enough.
> >

> The BBC are probably a bad example in this case, they're more of an
> ISP/Content Provider than a typical Enterprise.

Thus do they reach the currently only 'problem rule' that is set to get
a /32? -> to have 200 sites in the future?

The BBC is for sure one organization, with likely a couple of sites
though, but 200 would seem a bit on the high side.

Nevertheless, if they can get it why can't you as an 'enterprise', or
are you just a few persons sitting in a shack with a 'company'?

> They're also
> considerably larger than the typical SME requiring multihoming, which is
> I think where the sticking point will be with IPv6.

Small-Medium-Enterprise? <2000 employees? I call that a company not an
enterprise ;)

What I am wondering actually, if any of the people who mention they have
problems with getting an IPv6 TLA, if they even tried getting one... and
if they did why did it fail? Otherwise one would not complain ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen