who gets a /32 [Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?]

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu Nov 18 18:31:51 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 10:22 -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
> This is flawed in a number of points:
>
> 	1.	32 bit ASNs are coming at least as quickly as IPv6.
> 		(/me ducks under table now as both camps probably take
> 		offense)

Offense! Sue! and other nice woman names ;)
When that happens, it happens, just like that four letter word.
32 bit ASN would still mean routing IPv6 with IPv4, sort of ;)

> 	2.	There are currently 4 and will soon be 5 RIRs.

I didn't count LACNIC as I am not aware of a large organisation having
200+ offices in that area and if one has an allocation from ARIN, one
could better use that (65k /48's from a /32). Then again, oil-rigs could
reach that number that easily.

> 	3.	There are plenty of large organizations that are multihomed
> 		that don't have 200 locations.

That is too bad for those organizations (under current policy)
Do these organizations all have their own ASN? If so, there are still at
the moment <30k of these, so should not be a large issue to give them a
alloc, ARIN has these special micro-allocs, not that that helps the
routing table size but still.

Greets,
 Jeroen