How to Blocking VoIP ( H.323) ?

Robert Mathews mathews at hawaii.edu
Sat Nov 13 19:12:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Alexei Roudnev wrote:

> Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:46:15 -0800
> From: Alexei Roudnev <alex at relcom.net>
> To: Robert Mathews <mathews at hawaii.edu>, NANOG <nanog at merit.edu>
> Subject: Re: How to Blocking  VoIP ( H.323) ?
>
> > Alexei:
> >
> > How exactly then would anyone implement this, without screwing-up the
> > overall performance elements in the network?  :)
>
> Not too easy, but I can imagine few alghoritms doing it. Remember that VoIP
> uses short packets, and you cam always recognize Ack and Tcp packets which
> should not be disrupted. Jitter does not slow down network, except if it
> interacts with RTT calculartion in TCP/IP.

Alexei:

Apologize for the delay in getting a reply to you.

Regarding your comment on jitter, FLATLY or more generally, if introducing
jitter is likely to complicate operational matters elsewhere in the
network [whether this complication manifests within one's own network or
in another - to which one is inter-connected] I would be inclined to say
this effects the overall performance...

I did not mean to take more of your time on this.  But, I wanted to merely
clarify.

Best,
Robert.
-------