IPV6 renumbering painless?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Nov 13 01:06:17 UTC 2004

> OK, but this doesn't have any effect on your "Listen",
> "NameVirtualHost" and "<VirtualHost>" statements of your httpd.conf,
> "ListenAddress" in sshd.conf, "Bind" in proftpd.conf, "*-source" and
> "listen-on*" in named.conf, [...]
True.  However, in all of the cases above except named.conf,
names are a perfectly valid substitute for the IP address.

> Not to forget all the IP address based ACLs.

I suspect that eventually, we will discover that ADDRESS-based
ACLs simply do not scale to a V6 world, and, you will see support
for other strategies, such as host-name based ACLs.

> Given that a server often has to know it's exact IP address very
> often (especially if it has multiple IP addresses associated with
> it's public interface), it's not a real relief compared to the other
> struggles you have when subnet changes.

In most of those instances, the server can get it's address from
a nameservice, and, only really needs to know the unique name
for the correct address.

Owen