IPV6 renumbering painless?

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Fri Nov 12 23:12:32 UTC 2004

> > > "specified the entire 128 bits"... how do you specify only part of it?
> >
> > On Solaris, you would use the "token" option ...
>
> Ah thanks. No, not seen anywhere in Linux or *BSD.

we (ISC) asked KAME about this, and they suggested:

        % cat /etc/start_if.nge0
        ifconfig nge0 inet6 fe80::1

...which for freebsd 5.2.1 at least, has the right effect.  rtsol still runs,
and once the upper 64 bits are known, the obvious thing happens:

        % ifconfig nge0 | grep ::
        inet6 fe80::1%nge0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
        inet6 2001:4f8:3:bb::1 prefixlen 64 autoconf

...so it's not as easy as the solaris "token" thing described earlier in this
thread, but it actually works fine and it's become universal on ISC's hosts.
--
Paul Vixie