Spring time fiber cuts (was Re: fiber cut 19 May/PM -> 20 May/AM)

fkittred at gwi.net fkittred at gwi.net
Fri May 21 13:50:33 UTC 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004 00:33:10 -0400 (EDT)  Sean Donelan wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 2004, Dan Armstrong wrote:
> > Forgive me, but
> >
> > Isn't Sonet usually deployed in a ring?  Why the heck would a fiber this
> > important not be?
>
> You are making assumptions.

I will echo this.  In sworn testimony in Maine PUC Docket 2002-243 (Dark
Fiber Docket), Verizon's expert witness stated that 90% of Verizon's
Sonet rings in Maine were at least partially collapsed.  I have a vague
recollection that he also stated that the engineering standards in Maine
did not differ from other states... so your mileage may not vary.

regards,
fletcher