ntp config tech note

John Kristoff jtk at northwestern.edu
Fri May 21 11:12:27 UTC 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:08:43 -0700
Michael Sinatra <michael at rancid.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> I run two stratum-1 servers and a few stratum-2s and I provide time via
> multicast (224.0.0.1), but I don't use it for my servers, except for

Presumably you meant 224.0.1.1.

> testing and verification.  I am also providing anycast ntp, and, if the
> belt and suspenders weren't enough, I am experimenting with manycast.

Noting that NTP uses more than a reply response message exchange.  No
concerns about session breakage?  SNTP would certainly be a very
viable candidate for anycast.

Except in the extreme case such as wisc.edu's unfortunate experience,
does multicast buy much?  Traffic loads for properly running clients
and distributed servers tend to be relatively low in my experience.

John