Worms versus Bots

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed May 5 17:38:56 UTC 2004

On Mon, 03 May 2004 20:53:50 PDT, Michel Py said:
> In other words: if one is stupid, one gets worm'ed or bot'ed.

My error - what I meant was "However, by that definition, 90% are stupid".

In fact, I'm in agreement with Steve Bellovin - either the users need to master
the technology (which isn't going to happen), or we need to fix the design and
HCI factors so that what ships *is* something that's actually usable.

> So maybe they WOULD be better with a "WebTV" model.

Have to admit, that model *does* solve the HCI issues..

> Or a Macintosh.

Actually, there's multiple solutions - remember that monocultures are bad. :)

> Perhaps there is a market for "safe Internet access"... I don't know.
> But I suspect the barrier to entry is either making it work with the
> dominant platform, or asking the market take the leap to another
> platform. Both are unlikely. What I do know is that the dominant
> platform is inherently insecure, and many of its users, those
> "non-technical" folks I referred to... they seem to be mostly unaware
> of the danger they pose to themselves and everyone else on the
> Network.

The trick here is realizing that compensating for stupidity doesn't have
to be a zero-sum game.

Today's window of opportunity:

"Microsoft is expected to recommend that the "average" Longhorn PC feature a
dual-core CPU running at 4 to 6GHz; a minimum of 2 gigs of RAM; up to a
terabyte of storage; a 1 Gbit, built-in, Ethernet-wired port and an 802.11g
wireless link; and a graphics processor that runs three times faster than those
on the market today."

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1581842,00.asp

So you have several years to convince people that there are cheaper/free
solutions that are more secure *and* don't require a forklift upgrade....