Verisign vs. ICANN

Alexei Roudnev alex at relcom.net
Sat Jun 19 22:39:38 UTC 2004

(read it only today, so sorry if I repeat something).

The technical roots of the problem are: proposed services VIOLATES internet
specification (which is 100% clean - if name do not exist, resolver must
receive negative response). So, technically, there is not any ground for
SiteFinder - vice versa,
now you can add client-level search SiteFinder (MS did it, and it took LOONG
to turn off their dumb 'search' redirect) so allowing
competition between ISP, browsers and so on.

Anyway, please - those who knows history and can read this 'official'
English (little bored) - I am sure, that we can find many inconsistencies in
the filing; it may be reasonable to provide a set of independent _technical_
reviews, showing that ICANN plays a role of technical authority, just do not
allowing to violate a protocols. For the second case (waiting lists), it is
not technical issue, but it is anti-competitional attempt from Verisign as
well. I can ask my Russian folks to review it as well (dr. Platonov, Dimitry
Burkov) but I am not sure, if it is of any use... Anyway, good review,
explaining history and revealing real ICANN role, should be done.

If VeriSign wish to deploy services - they must put thru new RFC first.

PS. I am excited - Vixie as a co-conspirator... Vixie, you can be proud -:).

Alexei Roudnev