"Default" Internet Service

Bob K melange at yip.org
Sun Jun 13 20:50:00 UTC 2004

John Curran wrote:

> Why
> doesn't it make sense to change the default model so that such are
> in place under the user demonstrates some understanding of the
> situation by asking them to be removed?

I'd just like to point out that people are going to ask to be removed so
they can get their [IM client/IP phone software/webcam/filesharing
client/gaming server/???] working, _not_ because all of a sudden they
feel they have enough technical know-how to keep their computer from
getting compromised.

There is also the problem that filtered service will create an
expectation that the ISP will magically stop everything, and of course
hell will be sending out their invoices when (not if) something makes it
through.