Surge Protection

Fisher, Shawn SFisher at Bresnan.com
Thu Jul 22 15:56:41 UTC 2004

Have anyone experienced hardware failure related to electrical spikes coming into your datacenters or equipment locations via the telco facilities?  I am referring specifically to copper facilities for DS1's, etc.  I know that the telco must maintain good grounding, but sometimes when you get hit with a few Gigavolts worth of electrical energy not much will help you.  Whatever the case, has anyone had any experience good or otherwise with surge protection for their Telcom circuits?  I am looking at this unit below as a possible solution.

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=19

TIA,

Shawn