Surge Protection

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Thu Jul 22 17:06:10 UTC 2004

At 11:56 AM 7/22/2004, you wrote:

>Have anyone experienced hardware failure related to electrical spikes
>coming into your datacenters or equipment locations via the telco
>facilities?  I am referring specifically to copper facilities for DS1's,
>etc.  I know that the telco must maintain good grounding, but sometimes
>when you get hit with a few Gigavolts worth of electrical energy not much
>will help you.  Whatever the case, has anyone had any experience good or
>otherwise with surge protection for their Telcom circuits?  I am looking
>at this unit below as a possible solution.

Rule #1, don't trust the telco or the power company, or anyone else feeding
wires into your building to do a good job keeping you safe from surges.

A client of mine has what used to be a CSU/DSU... now has surface mount
components missing and the like. They hadn't installed a surge protector on
the T-1. They had covered the power and the antenna coaxes at the site.
Only the T-1 line was unprotected. Lightning will find that one path you've
not protected.

The cost of installing a surge protector is unlikely to impact your bottom
line. One successful lightning strike on the other hand will hurt quite a
bit, and probably happen at 4AM just to be more annoying.