Anycast and windows servers

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Thu Feb 19 13:40:20 UTC 2004

On 18 Feb 2004, at 22:43, Sean Donelan wrote:

> How well does Anycast work with Windows 2000 or XP servers?  Is the
> Microsoft OSPF implementation good enough to use or do people port
> another
> routing implementation?

Does the capitalisation of Anycast mean it has been productised, now?
:-)

In my head, anycast is unicast without globally-unique addresses. Since
nobody ever asks "does unicast work with Windows?" I am guessing you
mean something different by "Anycast" than I do by "anycast".

What do you mean?

You can do the kind of Internet-wide service distribution that we do
with F [1] with no unusual requirements on the host. (ISC in fact
deploys clusters of hosts in each node rather than a single host, and
the way we build the clusters involves OSPF on the hosts, but that's
orthogonal to the wide-area distribution strategy.)

Joe

[1] ISC-TN-2003-1, http://www.isc.org/tn/