chewy middle

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Tue Dec 21 14:26:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 12:03:12PM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 06:22:17 +0000 (GMT), Christopher L. Morrow
> <christopher.morrow at mci.com> wrote:
> > there are others of course... it's not the OS that matters in the long
> > run, it's the administration of that OS (or so it seems to me, admittedly
> > not a sysadmin though, anymore). Sure, initial/default installs might be
> > problematic in one/all OS's, but by and large extended lifetimes on a
> > live/hostile network means patches must be applied. Seems like that
> > doesn't happen by and large.
>
> [waiting for an OpenVMS user to speak up]
>
> Frankly, from an operational perspective, I guess the only way to go
> is to trust the inside of your network even less than you trust the
> outside ... and have processes that quickly isolate and block access
> from / to compromised hosts till they are fixed.
>
> --
> Suresh Ramasubramanian (ops.lists at gmail.com)

	well... i trust both inside and outside roughly the same...
	the outside, i have to depend on others to do my work for
	me... the inside is nobodys responsiblity but my own.
	being a "good" player depends on me doing the "right" things
	in my own backyard ... thats the only way to have a better
	neighborhood, when everyone does their part .

--bill