New Computer? Six Steps to Safer Surfing

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Tue Dec 21 06:17:42 UTC 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 09:14:30PM -0500, Sean Donelan wrote:
> >
> > I wouldn't rely on software firewalls.  At the same store you buy your
> > computer, also buy a hardware firewall.  Hopefully soon the motherboard
> > and NIC manufacturers will start including built-in hardware firewalls.
> > But sometimes, such as dialup modems, software firewalls are the only
> > alternative.
>
> Hopefully soon people will start running operating systems, web browsers,
> and email clients where they have no need for a "personal firewall".

its a nice dreamworld you live in, but seriously.... 98% of the copmuter
using population will use whatever the 'commodity' OS is for their
platform, that means windows on intel and OSX on ppc...

> (Or, with luck, certain vendors will fix their buggy software)

and Sean will/maybe-has-already  pointed out that "unix" (in all it's
glorious variations) is no more secure than  anything else... as much as
it saddens me to say all that it sure seems to be the truth. :(

-Chris