The Cidr Report

Joe Provo nanog-post at rsuc.gweep.net
Mon Dec 13 18:26:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 01:08:39PM -0500, Patrick W Gilmore wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2004, at 6:39 AM, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
> [my attribution clipped -jzp]
> >>- this month, another knee was at 150k [Dec 4th] and similarly
> >>  garbled results came out. Again, no response.
> >>...in this one year we've seen the shape of the climb return to the
> >>curve characterized by two years 99-01. Going for e?  I'm not quite
> >>sure what the current point of the report is if no-one responds to
> >>even it breaking.
> >
> >Knee? Shape? Curve? Are you reading the same CIDR report
> >that I see here every Friday? The report that I see is
> >basically a dump of raw data. Perhaps the author needs
> >to remember the distinction between data and information
> >and make the CIDR report into something that people
> >*WANT* to read. This posting of yours contained far more
> >information than any CIDR report.
[snip]

> Also, as for the "knee" Joe mentioned, I think he is talking about the
> fact the report went wonky.  Look at the data presented in the last
> CIDR report - it is nonsense, obviously in error.  This is not the
> "shape" of the "curve", it is the data itself.

Correct on 'knee' but for crying out loud, follow the pointy clicky
references to the website. Of course there isn't going to be a curve
in email [you want ascii plots? how 1980s], but the email quite
clearly points you the way to the site where there is some analysis
of the raw data.

For many of us, the mail is a reminder 'here's the current raw info,
check the detailed stuff over here'.  There is no secret cabal or
hidden ionfo, the report email

Joe, finding it a sad state of affairs that he must cut and paste
"http://www.cidr-report.org/cgi-bin/plota?file=%2fvar%2fdata%2fbgp%2fas4637%2fbgp%2dactive%2etxt&descr=Active%20BGP%20entries%20%28FIB%29&ylabel=Active%20BGP%20entries%20%28FIB%29&with=step" into this message for people to
   actually look at the graph.

PS "2001 bellovin bush griffin rexford" entered into google hits the
 specific reference quite nicely - sorry i didn't include the title.
  as michael pointed out the specific links migrate all the time, so
  i was purposefully avoiding 'where it can be found at this moment'
  [try http://www.research.att.com/~jrex/papers/filter.pdf]

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE