The Cidr Report

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Tue Dec 14 14:25:03 UTC 2004

> Correct on 'knee' but for crying out loud, follow the pointy clicky
> references to the website. Of course there isn't going to be a curve
> in email [you want ascii plots? how 1980s], but the email quite
> clearly points you the way to the site where there is some analysis
> of the raw data.

My bad ;-)

But I include the CIDR reports website in my
complaint about data versus information. Yes
it does have SOME analysis and that is good.
But the way it is presented overwhelms one with
data and obscures the point of the website.
Also, I somehow missed the URL for the plot
that you posted even though I've been to this
website several times.

In fact, it shows that when Cengiz/Packeteer
presented the findings showing almost no growth,
the routing table was about to begin growing
again at the same rate as prior to the telecom
collapse. Packeteer's data did get a certain
amount of press coverage, Lightreading for instance,
so maybe that's why most people stopped looking
at how to control routing table growth.

However, CAIDA did make a presentation about
atoms in the AS path last fall
http://www.caida.org/projects/routing/atoms/documents/atoms-widew0311.pdf
If only everyone ran their BGP processes
on servers rather than routers, people could
actually begin using this now because the code
is available http://www.caida.org/projects/routing/atoms/

Now that, whether you agree with the approach
or not, is definitely something new in regards
to managing routing table growth.

--Michael Dillon