Is the Internet a Phone Company

Ted Fischer ted at fred.net
Fri Dec 3 21:57:57 UTC 2004

</lurk>

All,

    Right from the Horse's Mouth:

	Quote:

    FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell applauded the Supreme Court's move to
hear the case.

    "The 9th Circuit's decision would have grave consequences for the
future and availability of high-speed Internet connections in this
country," he said in a statement. "High-speed Internet connections are not
telephones."

	Unquote:

    Context:  Mr. Powell's statement re: "The Supreme Court said Friday it
will consider whether Internet providers should be allowed to sell their
high-speed service over the cable television system."

    Full article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6645391/

    Although I am not well versed in the particulars of this specific case,
the statement itself would seem to have broad operational ramifications on
how "High-speed Internet connections" are built marketed, and priced - at
least in the U.S.  The pressure for "extra-net" (if you'll pardon the
marketing term) VOIP is immense, for example.

    I would appreciate The List's - US as well as Non-US - reaction to this
statement.  It is the first time I have seen it so explicitly stated by
someone who's opinion on this matter carries more than just a little weight.

			Ted Fischer
<lurk>