is reverse dns required? (policy question)

Sam Hayes Merritt, III sam at themerritts.org
Wed Dec 1 17:56:54 UTC 2004

> I thought I saw some 'MUST' statements in an RFC

[*] From RFC 1912, section 2.1.
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1912.html

"Every Internet-reachable host should have a name. The consequences of
this are becoming more and more obvious. Many services available on the
Internet will not talk to you if you aren't correctly registered in the
DNS.

Make sure your PTR and A records match.
Failure to have matching PTR and A records can cause loss of Internet
services similar to not being registered in the DNS at all. Also, PTR
records must point back to a valid A record, not a alias defined by a
CNAME."

(the best I could find to validate what we do with rnds.m4)

sam