is reverse dns required? (policy question)

John Kristoff jtk at northwestern.edu
Wed Dec 1 17:45:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:56:23 -0800
Greg Albrecht <gba at undef.net> wrote:

> are we obligated, as a user of ARIN ip space, or per some BCP, to
> provide ad-hoc reverse dns to our customers with-out cost, or without
> financial obligation.

I thought I saw some 'MUST' statements in an RFC about this in the past,
but I can't find anything at the moment.  My guess is that you are not
obligated to really do anything for free.  Market pressure may be the
deterrent in charging for each basic service request.  You might argue
to provide the option of delegating the reverse zones for your customers
to self-manage without incurring any additional cost.  This may not work
well in your specific environment however.

John