Current street prices for US Internet Transit

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Mon Aug 16 23:31:19 UTC 2004

> rabbit.  ;-)  Now excuse me while I soak my hands in bleach for having typed

I'd hate to hear what you have to do if you read that out loud. :)

Just to be on-topic:

I think the question of what equipment the network is running for the
purposes of a customer savvy enough to know the difference between a
12000 network or a 7xxx network or what-have-you, would be able to
mitigate a vast many of these concerns by being multihomed correctly.
Such a customer would be able to see significant cost improvements and
not see much in the way of penalties -- e.g. reconvergence issues. Two
pieces of equipment with low MTBFs may exceed a single piece of
equipment with a high MTBF's availability overall.

On-topic, but slightly different:

Other than packet buffer depths and some theoretical ACL limits, is
there any reason why a 7600 network would be worse than a 12000 built
one? MTBF, reconvergence and other issues should all be pretty nice and
like others have mentioned packet buffers are not necessarily a good
thing <tm>.  Throughput-wise, a 7600 should be able to hold its own
against a 12000 provided we are talking about 40Gb/s blades and SUP720s.

Deepak Jain
AiNET