[OT] question on NANOG meetings

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Sat Sep 27 14:37:33 UTC 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:46:37 +0100 (BST)
 Brandon Butterworth <brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> > the it behaves well in varying network conditions, which cannot be said
> > from either WM or RM.
>
> Quality of the link from encoder to Real server is important, send
> garbage to the server and it has nothing to distribute.
>
> I get the impression it's done in band with other NANOG traffic and may
> be suffering against the warez traffic.
>
> Some details of that link and the server loading would be interesting,
> anyone got details from previous meetings?

FWIW, I try to look at the _multicast_ feedback as I can snarf it down here.

Typically I get Multicast RTCP receiver reports from 10's of receivers, which
suggests (as most players do not send RR's) a total multicast audience of order
100. At least some receivers tend to report low packet loss (typically order 1/2
of all reports say zero loss).

Regards
Marshall Eubanks