FW: e-bay

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Fri Sep 26 19:01:14 UTC 2003

On Friday, Sep 26, 2003, at 14:06 Canada/Eastern, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> But 3 days later, I got another email with the same scam, this time to
> a different provider in Korea.... Next.

Korea has a very large number of reliably- and permanently-connected
windows boxes in comparison to most other countries (the OECD numbers
on broadband access in 2001 ranked Korea way up there at the top of the
list, with Canada a distant second, or so I heard on the radio the
other day). You can buy residential 20Mbit/s VDSL services there over
the phone, as a regular service, and people do.

Given this, I'm guessing that if you choose a windows box with a stable
connection on the net at random, chances are good that it's in Korea.

All the network operators I have in Korea are both efficient and
technically proficient, and I certainly didn't get any impression that
people were lax or in any way irresponsible with respect to running
networks: the fact that the networks there are still functioning at all
suggests they are well-practiced at dealing with infected windows
boxes. It's seems to be much less common to find people who speak
English in Korea than it is in other places in Asia, though, which
might help explain apparent unresponsiveness to complaints which are
not written in Korean.

So, here's my point (and I know I'm rambling, come on, it's a Friday):
when every other back trace leads to Korea, it's not necessarily
because Korea is irresponsible or incompetent; in terms of the global
distribution of windows-based worm factories, they just account for a
disproportionate amount of the Internet.

Given the numbers of clients they have to deal with it's eminently
possible that they're doing a much better job, in relative and general
terms, than operators in the US, Europe and Australasia.

Joe