williams spamhaus blacklist

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Sep 24 23:42:39 UTC 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:28:52 -0700 Scott Granados <scott at wworks.net> wrote:
> Even though this is off topic, I'd have to say that this seems very odd
> from
> SpamHaus.  They never seemed to isolate entire ranges but seemed more
> specific.  I can also say they were very fast to remove issues once the
> spammers were removed and were also quite helpful.

> I wonder does this strategy demonstrate some sort of change or is it
> just a
> one off?

disclaimer: i do not speak for spamhaus. i have used the sbl for many
years, found it effective, and believe that steve linford and his crew are
honestly trying to do a good job with a difficult project.

now, to answer your question.

spamhaus normally is extremely focused. they keep detailed records that
explain why they have chosen to block specific ranges. they are oriented
towards spammers of fixed address, that is, they don't chase open relays,
they don't chase abused proxies, or anything of that sort. there are other
lists that perform those functions.

the blacklisting of ISP ranges is very rare, it only occurs perhaps once a
year, in extreme cases. several years ago, the sbl listed sprint's coporate
mail servers during a period when sprint was providing connectivity for
many spamhausen. sprint responded by appointing a new head of abuse, and
giving him the power to terminate spammers. sprint's corporate mail servers
were delisted, and their network is now fairly clean. we don't jokingly
call their service "sprintpink" any more.

it takes a lot to get your ISP's corporate mail servers listed on the sbl.
wcg's problems must be pretty severe.

in another message, Leo Bicknell refered to Eddy Marin & crew as (i think)
"alleged spammers".

there's nothing alleged about it. the Eddy Marin spam gang in Boca Raton is
one of the nastiest bunches of vile spamming slime you will ever see. this
is all extremely well documented. go see the spamhaus site for
documentation, it's all there.

cheers,
  richard
(the scary thing is that spamming may be the closest thing to a legitimate
 business that Eddy Marin has ever been involved in.)
Richard Welty                                         rwelty at averillpark.net