If Verisign *really* wants to help ...

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Sat Sep 20 20:22:26 UTC 2003

> Verisign has become the single point of failure for almost all of the
> USA's public networks (voice, data, Internet, etc).

I seriously don't like this situation, especially considering latest
marketing twists with verisign's new "services". What we have however are
number of people working there have good technical experience running
registry services (i.e. root dns, .com registry, ss7) but their managers
who came from verisign itself are not interested in maintaining good level
of service for such core services but rather extracting largest amount of
money from these services which.

If Verisign is to continue operating these core services (root dns, registry,
ss7), they will need to be COMPLETELY separate from their other units
(domain register) and run them as public trust. Or it may be best if
Verisign were forced (by goverment and/or icann agreements) to move these
into separate, possibly non-profit company like it was done when Internic
(aka NSI) IP registration services were moved to ARIN.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net