Change to .com/.net behavior

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Wed Sep 17 19:43:17 UTC 2003

Paul Vixie wrote:

>>>...  shouldn't they get to decide this for themselves?
>>>

>> <snip>
>
>>	Verisign has created a business out of fooling software through
>>failure to return a 'no such domain' indication when there is no such
>>domain, in breach of their public trust. As much as Verisign was
>>obligated not to do this, others are obligated not to propogate the
>>breakage. ISPs operate DNS servers for their customers just as
>>Verisign operates the COM and NET domains for the public.
>>

>the obligations you're speaking of are much less clear than you're saying.

In my eyes that is the whole issue. I believe that Verisign is holding
the zones for the public internet and that they do have obligations to
the public. Verisign does not.

Without the "for the public" justification, there is absolutely no
moral  ground for IANA,ICANN and Verisign to maintain this three way
stranglehold on the contents/structure of the DNS system for the entire
world population.