News of ISC Developing BIND Patch

David G. Andersen dga at lcs.mit.edu
Wed Sep 17 15:47:20 UTC 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 02:50:51AM -0700, Vadim Antonov quacked:

> In fact, we do have an enormously useful and popular way of doing exactly
> that - this is called "search engines" and "bookmarks".  What is needed is
> an infrastructure for allocation of unique semantic-free end point
> identifiers (to a large extent, MAC addresses may play this role, or, say,
> 128-bit random numbers), a way to translate EIDs to the topologically
> allocated IP addresses (a kind of simplified numbers-only DNS?) and a
> coordinated effort to change applications and expunge domain names from
> protocols, databases, webpages and such, replacing URLs containing domain
> names with URLs containing EIDs.

  Oh, you mean something like the Semantic Free Referencing project?

  http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/projects/sfr/

  (Blatant plug for a friend's research, yes, but oh my god does it
seem relevant today)

  -Dave

work: dga at lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga at pobox.com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/
      I do not accept unsolicited commercial email.  Do not spam me.