News of ISC Developing BIND Patch

Chris Boyd cboyd at gizmopartners.com
Fri Sep 19 03:00:58 UTC 2003

On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 02:10  PM, bdragon at gweep.net wrote:

> manufacturer assigned macs are guaranteed to be globally unique.
> A specific enterprise reconfiguring the mac is akin to an enterprise
> using RFC1918 space.

I would say _supposed_ to be unique.  Surely some cheapo manufacturer
has recycled addresses from their old ISA card days.

Back in the mainframe days, admins used to always set the MAC addresses
of devices on the token rings, since the MAC address was used to bid on
which node managed the ring.  I have seen people fat-finger it too.