What do you want your ISP to block today?

Johannes Ullrich jullrich at euclidian.com
Wed Sep 3 20:27:04 UTC 2003

> No.  ISPs should not block ports unless they are listed in the AUP as
> non-permitted traffic or it is a necessary and temporary remedial action
> for a service-affecting problem.

I fully agree that ISPs should include the list of blocked ports in
their AUP. (somewhere in the paper it mentions the confusion caused by
uncoordinated filters).

> I still do not understand why a manufacturer is permitted to release a
> product which causes such harm, and, rather than hold that manufacturer
> liable, so many people feel that the entire rest of the world should
> change to accommodate that one manufacturer's deficiencies

But should the end user pay for the faults? They already pay
for the software and the Internet connection. How many ISPs on this list
provide support for non-MSFT operating systems? Does the free CD you
hand out run on anything but Windows?

90% + of internet users do use MSFT Windows. So I don't think you have a
choice other than to "live with it".

Johannes Ullrich                     jullrich at euclidian.com
         support at covad.net