AOL fixing Microsoft default settings

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Tue Oct 28 16:17:59 UTC 2003

At 11:13 AM 10/23/2003, Sean Donelan wrote:
>How many other ISPs intend to follow AOL's practice and use their
>connection support software to fix the defaults on their customer's
>Windows computers?

Interesting question from several angles. Here's the flip side. Our
corporate IT department likes to magically download software and
configuration changes to us without telling us, which occasionally has the
effect of having someone in the middle of a presentation to a customer have
something pop up and say "I have installed new software on your laptop,
because you need it and it is good for you. Click here to reboot."

um, ...

timing is everything, right?

Personally, I don't ask my ISP or my IT department to randomly change the
configuration of my computer. I am very happy for them to suggest changes,
but *if* I agree, *I* want to install them when it is convenient for *me*,
not when it is convenient for *them*.

That said, this particular configuration change is an improvement...