Site Finder

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Oct 16 19:13:06 UTC 2003

--On Thursday, October 16, 2003 12:57 -0600 Michael Loftis
<mloftis at wgops.com> wrote:

> I have a good one, when was the last tiema  telco asked any of us, or
> anyone for that matter, how to handle an NPA-NXX assignment?  or LERG?

This isn't necessarily a great analogy for this situation.  It is likely
Verisign thinks of themselves as the phone company in this case and us
as the consumers that don't know.

> NEVER.  We're not qualified to make decisions like that because we don't
> know what the effects could or would be.  Likewise VeriSign obviously
> doesn't, nor do the general populace.  As many have suggested if VeriSign
> wants to do this they can as a browser plugin or feature.

I don't think any phone company would ever consider routing all of the
invalid NPA-NXXs to an answering machine that plays recorded advertising
for the user.

> I for one am going to dumping all traffic bound to SiteFinder.

Nah... Don't do that.  Dump all traffic coming FROM SiteFinder.  That way,
it ties up their resources, while still achieving the same effect.
(Wonder if I can figure out how to get a router to forward a packet and
still generate an admin-prohibited back to the source :-)

Owen