Mirapoint Message Director appliances

Paul S. Brown pol at geekstuff.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 19:19:16 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 7:00 pm, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Paul S. Brown writes on 11/19/2003 12:38 PM:
> > Does anybody have any experience with the MD400/MD450 appliances?
> >
> > Good/bad/indifferent
>
> Expensive
>
> > Do they do anything I can't do myself with Sophie, Cyrus IMAP, Postfix
> > and SpamAssassing on a decent PC?
> >
> > Would you recommend them for high volume VISP mail hosting? (around 600k
> > domains)
>
> We run mail for a few more domains / users than that, but use more than
> just a small PC.  We do use postfix (and qmail, and courier imap, and
> rbldns, and a few other open source tools) though, not Mirapoints.

The PC I was thinking of using for this would be the same spec as the
Mirapoint boxes (dual 2.8GHz P4, 2GB RAM, Lots of U320 RAID). I also wouldn't
be using a single PC.

Just curious as to whether anybody had experience with these systems as they
appear reasonably cheap for what they do (Well, compared to MCIS/Openwave/
Nexor/Insert$PROPRIETARYMTA).

As goes users, I honestly don't know how many hide behind those domains, but
around 8-10m mails a day at present are hitting this system

P.