Initial network impacts post-US attack 3/19/03

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Mar 20 05:03:13 UTC 2003

Some major new web sites such as CNN.COM, MSNBC.COM, etc have dropped most
advertisements from their main web pages.  CNN.COM has switched to its
"breaking news" format with a truncated main page.

I have not had any difficulty reaching any major US news web site.  Matrix
and Keynote public graphs show normal latency, drops, etc.  BGP, ASN data
sources show normal number of prefixes, announcements, withdrawals.

AT&T and Cable&Wireless public network statistic pages show almost all
major links within normal levels.

However, tonight I am not able to reach the few Iraq servers I know about.
The servers were reachable on Monday, but I wasn't keeping constant track
of those servers.  So I don't know when I could no longer reach them.  This
may just be normal network flakiness, the Iraqi networks aren't very
reliable on a normal day.