69/8...this sucks

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Mar 11 17:25:38 UTC 2003

--On Tuesday, March 11, 2003 11:18 AM +0000 Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
wrote:

>> 2.             Each RIR should operate one or more routers with an open
> peering
>>                policy which will perform the following functions:
>
> I agree that the RIR is the right source for the data but I think that
> BGP  is the wrong protocol for publishing the data. Would you give a BGP
> feed  to all of your customers so that they can inject up-to-date bogons
> into  their firewall configs? Probably not and besides, the enterprise
> folks  wouldn't have a clue what to do with BGP in the first place.
> That's why I  have suggested using LDAP to publish the data.

Nothing in my proposal precludes the data from being published via LDAP,
but, if you think the enterprise wouldn't know how to handle the data via
BGP, I gotta tell you, LDAP is much more difficult in my experience.

As to publishing the data to customers, sure.  Why not.  See my previous
post about all-comers BGP peer-groups.

>> Apologies if this has been discussed before, but, it seems to me that
> this
>> is the easiest way to make the data readily available to the community
>> directly from the maintainers of the databases in a fashion which is
>> automatically up to date.
>
> At this point a lot if people agree that the data needs to come directly
> from the database maintainers, in our case that's ARIN. And people also
> seem to agree that keeping the data automatically up to date is a good
> thing. We still have some discussion as to which protocol to use for
> publishing the data. I suggest that what is needed now is to engage ARIN
> in the discussion and get this on the agenda with them. Technical details
> can be worked out later, but now we need a commitment from ARIN that they
> can and will make this data available and keep it up to date.

I don't see any reason we have to pick _A_ protocol.  As far as I'm
concerned,
it could easily be published via LDAP, DNS, _AND_ BGP.  I am already working
on drafting a policy proposal.

Owen