69/8...this sucks

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Tue Mar 11 11:18:37 UTC 2003

> 2.             Each RIR should operate one or more routers with an open
peering
>                policy which will perform the following functions:

I agree that the RIR is the right source for the data but I think that BGP
is the wrong protocol for publishing the data. Would you give a BGP feed
to all of your customers so that they can inject up-to-date bogons into
their firewall configs? Probably not and besides, the enterprise folks
wouldn't have a clue what to do with BGP in the first place. That's why I
have suggested using LDAP to publish the data.

>Apologies if this has been discussed before, but, it seems to me that
this
>is the easiest way to make the data readily available to the community
>directly from the maintainers of the databases in a fashion which is
>automatically up to date.

At this point a lot if people agree that the data needs to come directly
from the database maintainers, in our case that's ARIN. And people also
seem to agree that keeping the data automatically up to date is a good
thing. We still have some discussion as to which protocol to use for
publishing the data. I suggest that what is needed now is to engage ARIN
in the discussion and get this on the agenda with them. Technical details
can be worked out later, but now we need a commitment from ARIN that they
can and will make this data available and keep it up to date.

--Michael Dillon