OT: Banc of America Article

David Charlap David.Charlap at marconi.com
Wed Jan 29 22:09:07 UTC 2003

Al Rowland wrote:

> The PIN is on your card ...

Not for any card I've ever owned.  I've changed my PIN several times
over the years, and the bank has never re-encoded my card or sent me a
new card as a result of doing so.

Maybe some banks do store the PIN on the card, but I'm certain that it's
in the server for ever bank I've used.

> I use a not-my-bank ATM in the lobby at work and it doesn't
> initiate the call (you can hear the modem dial) until you're beyond the
> PIN screen and are actually requesting a transaction.

I'm not surprised.  But the PIN is verified as a part of the transaction.

I've occasionally mistyped my PIN.  The ATM takes the mistake and goes
straight to the menu.  It's only after requesting a transaction that it
comes back with the "invalid PIN" message.

-- David