OT: Banc of America Article

Sharif Torpis faust at grift.com
Wed Jan 29 22:35:49 UTC 2003

Halleluljah. A voice of knowledge as opposed to conjecture. Different
bank ATMs operate differently. There are online and offline modes.
The PIN may or may not be recorded on the card. Some of these
differences are due to the fact that not all financial institutions
were connected to interbank networks over two decades ago. And yes,
some banks' ATMs dispense limited amounts of cash while disconnected
from the network. This is a compromise between customer service and
fraud exposure. You won't be able to get rich that way. There are
plenty of resources on and offline related to magnetic stripe
cryptographic security and PIN verification methods such as Atalla
Identikey, Visa PW, IBM 3624, etc.

Those making the most noise should take a look at their own network
security, data security, and redundancy practices as they rail
against large financial networks and systems.

Regards,
Sharif

---
"Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never
tried." - Mae West