GLBX ICMP rate limiting (was RE: Tier-1 without their own bac kbone?)

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Aug 29 00:23:52 UTC 2003

Temkin, David wrote:

> We've noticed that one of our upstreams (Global Crossing) has introduced
> ICMP rate limiting 4/5 days ago.  This means that any traceroutes/pings
> through them look awful (up to 60% apparent packet loss).  After
> contacting their NOC, they said that the directive to install the ICMP
> rate limiting was from the Homeland Security folks and that they would not
> remove them or change the rate at which they limit in the foreseeable
> future.

<rant>
Are people idiots or do they just not possess equipment capable of
trashing 92 byte icmp traffic and letting the small amount of normal
traffic through unhindered? They are raising freakin' complaints from
users who think the Microsoft ICMP tracert command is just the end all,
be all and is of course completely WRONG with rate-limiting in effect.
</rant>

-Jack