Extreme + Nachi = ipfdb overflow

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Mon Aug 25 20:57:14 UTC 2003

At 03:38 PM 8/25/2003, Joshua Coombs wrote:

>After battling Nachi and it's flood of icmp traffic, I've discovered
>that it's not the Cisco gear that gets hit hard by it, it was the
>Extreme gear.  Nachi generates enough 'random' traffic to flood and
>subsequently thrash the ip forwarding DB on the Summit 1i we were using
>so badly as to drop it from gigabit capible to barely eeking out
>6mb/sec.

Cisco 65xx gear suffers the same problem. SQL Slammer infested 3
neighboring customers in a colo space we use. The 6509 (used for
aggregation in that colo) dropped 10% or more of our packets, though we
were not infected. So much for claims from both of these vendors about
"wire speed" forwarding.

When testing switch gear, I think it's time to update Scott Bradner's test
suites to use random source and destination IP addresses, so we can find
out the true limits of the equipment.