Extreme + Nachi = ipfdb overflow

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Aug 25 21:08:04 UTC 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> At least some of the other vendors have workarounds (lame as they might be
> *coughnetaggcough*), or newer supervisors with FIBs, but I'm not aware of
> anything you can do to make an L3 Barney Switch behave well under a random
> dest flood.

The options in the market that I know of in the $3k-$8k range either has a
very small routing table (Cisco 3550 for instance) or has a large route
cache (Extreme Summit i-plattform is a good example). So it's either a
3550 with a lame low number of routes and mac addresses and memory that
behaves well under random destination flood, or it's Extreme with a good
number of mac addresses and routes that normally does everything it
should, but behaves badly under random destination load.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se