Sobig.f surprise attack today

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Aug 22 19:51:14 UTC 2003

OK.. Seems to me that under the circumstances, since they're willing to
disconnect that host from the internet (any rational ISP would be), that
replacing it with a /32 route to a honeypot created by the ISP
would not be that difficult.  Sure, it's unlikely that 100% of the ISPs
could do it in the time required, but, even if you gust got the top 3
or so on the worm's hit list, it would have a significant impact.
If you got 10, then the surprise would be no more than 50% effective.

Sure, it won't happen in 30 minutes, but, I don't understand why this
wasn't started when F-Secure first noticed the situation.

Owen

--On Friday, August 22, 2003 1:39 PM -0500 "Beprojects.com"