Sobig.f surprise attack today

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Fri Aug 22 23:54:53 UTC 2003

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Sure, it won't happen in 30 minutes, but, I don't understand why this
> wasn't started when F-Secure first noticed the situation.

I seriously doubt that most (any?) ISP would be willing to accept the
legal liability for altering anything on the computer of a third party
that just happened to connect to an IP in a netblock they are
responsible for. White worms are an elegant engineering concept, but
have little practical value (and huge risk) outside of networks that you
control directly.

Doug

--
"You're walkin' the wire, pain and desire. Looking for love in between."

    - The Eagles, "Victim of Love"