Market-based address allocation

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Apr 30 21:54:20 UTC 2003

Bill Nickless wrote:

> I'm confused--are IPv4 netblocks so valuable that we can't expect the
> market to set a reasonable price, or are IPv4 netblocks (sets of
> integers) so worthless that they're not worth the trouble of trading at
> all?

The issue is that it's just plain smart for large providers to buy all
the space up if they can. Businesses are into making money. When they
can, they will monopolize a market.

Most commodities cannot be saturated. You don't buy all the oranges in
the world and then maintain ownership until the end of the world. The
next year, everyone will produce more oranges. Even money is
replenished, and how much is in circulation is governed by the
corresponding government.

IPv4 address space, while adequate to currently meet our needs, is
limited. The reason it is adequate is because we do require
justification. Take away justification and put on a $ value, and the big
money makers will buy it all, lease it out to people at variable rates,
and watch the money roll in. Never underestimate greed. It's the
foundation of business.

-Jack