Hunting for bogus BGP announcement for 204.106.93.155

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Thu Oct 3 17:22:10 UTC 2002

We did _not_ see 204.106.93.155
here at AS 16517 in our multicast status
runs in either BGP or MBGP announcements - this means that Sprint and
UUNet were not announcing it (nor was Internet2).

--
                                  Regards
                                  Marshall Eubanks

David G. Andersen wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 06:48:53PM +0200, Jesper Skriver mooed:
>
>>On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 04:35:45PM +0100, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
>>wrote:
>>

>>>For the last two days, between approximately 7pm to 2am Eastern
>>>time, a spammer hijacked a piece of our address space, presumably
>>>by announcing some size of aggregate containing the IP address
>>>204.106.93.155. During the time that the spammer had connectivity
>>>using this bogus announcement,
>>>
>>RIS didn't pick anything up
>>
>  Nor did our BGP monitors, nor our db of Routeviews.
>
> http://bgp.lcs.mit.edu/
>
> Interestingly, we se _no_ announcements of any netblock containing
> this address, ever.  I assume you haven't brought this address space
> on-line yet?
>
>   -Dave

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624       Fax     : 703-293-9609
e-mail : tme at multicasttech.com
http://www.multicasttech.com

Test your network for multicast :
http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/