Spanning tree melt down ?

Stephen Sprunk ssprunk at cisco.com
Fri Nov 29 19:27:27 UTC 2002

Thus spake "Scott Granados" <scott at wworks.net>
> Just a data point here, most hospital networks and it departments
> are headed by Doctor's.

In insurance companies, the networks are run by claims adjusters.  In banks,
they're run by loan officers.  And in airlines, they're run by unionized
pilots.  It's not that the companies even avoid hiring competent people for
the jobs -- it's that competent people refuse to work in such environments.

> Hospital networks are really frightening and there is no best practices in
> place for the most part.  There are a few exceptions but in general its
> unbelievable.

The part I find most amusing is how every industry is obsessed with the idea
they're different from every other industry...   "Sure, you sell an email
program, but how many *hospitals* or *banks* have you sold your email
program to?"  Large bureaucracies' primary goal seems to be imitating the
bureaucracies at their competitors.  "Well, what does the WAN at other oil
companies look like?  We want that, forget if it meets our needs."