Simulated disaster exercise? Re: PAIX

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Nov 18 00:55:19 UTC 2002

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> > The usual response was it only affected the public exchange fabric, not
> > any private point-to-point circuits between providers through the same
> > facility.
>
> But if we're going to compare this to MAE Gigaswitch failures, shouldn't
> we be talking apples to apples and oranges to oranges?

No. The world has changed. If people are buying tangerines and grapefruit
now, that's what we should be talking about, not apples and oranges.  If
most of today's Internet exchange is via private connections, those are
the connections we should be looking at.

The fine folks at Caimis and Caida have done some analysis, and identified
the nodes which make up the "core" of the Internet. They've also
identified the most connected "core" nodes.  The good news is the network
doesn't go non-linear until more than 25% of the nodes are removed.