proposed government regulation of .za namespace

bert hubert ahu at ds9a.nl
Sun May 26 16:22:07 UTC 2002

On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 09:04:40AM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:

> > ISC has had very little in the way of problems as a .ZA slave
>
> its the ac.za and co.za messes

Try registering a domain with co.za if any of your nameservers sits on an
RFC2317 classlessly delegated reverse, and where your nameserver does not
recurse. They have a script that checks if YOUR nameserver knows about ITS
ip address and they query for the 1:1 in.addr-arpa mapping.

If your nameserver does not provide an answer they like, they are unable to
let registration go through. Our nameservers reply with a SERVFAIL as they
are not authoritative for their 1:1 in.addr-arpa mapping and only know about
the RFC2317 indirected one.

I argued about this with them *at length* and they kept inventing more
reasons why I was breaking RFC compliance. They even told me they couldn't
accept my nameservers as these would 'waste bandwidth' which was 'terriby
expensive' in South Africa. It probably is, but that has nothing to do with
my nameservers and their reverse delegation!

In the end sanity more or less broke out and one of them stated that they
were very busy with legislation &c and unable to change a script that was
only causing problems for me and for nobody else.

Now I doubt the last part, but I can understand them being undermanned. And
then we gave it up. Good luck to them all.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services