proposed government regulation of .za namespace

David Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Sun May 26 16:57:15 UTC 2002

bert hubert said:

>[SNIP]

> I argued about this with them *at length* and they kept inventing more
> reasons why I was breaking RFC compliance. They even told me they
> couldn't accept my nameservers as these would 'waste bandwidth' which
> was 'terriby expensive' in South Africa. It probably is, but that has
> nothing to do with my nameservers and their reverse delegation!
>
> In the end sanity more or less broke out and one of them stated that
> they were very busy with legislation &c and unable to change a script
> that was only causing problems for me and for nobody else.

You are not the only one,

We also have had many problems with them regarding this issue and were
essentially stonewalled.  Any of our users in the .co.za namespace are
unable to use ns3 or ns4 of our nameservers.  It's a shame especially
because it seems to be such a worthless requirement.  (Then again there
are some registrars which require AXFR access from you)
-davidu

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the
world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead