Effects of de-peering... (was RE: ratios)

James Smith jsmith at PRESIDIO.com
Fri May 10 13:48:25 UTC 2002

>> I apologize in advance, I'm a total newbie...so what did you have to do?
>
>Build resilience into his single homed, single point of failure
>non-redundant network.
>
>Steve

Maybe it is possible he made a business decision based on the long term
costs involved with multihoming/redundancy vs. the loss of near total
reachability. He may have come to the conclusion that the probability of
that scenario occuring was not sufficient reason to multihome. His call.

I think we all assume that our provider "guarantees" us some sort of "total
reachability". Near as I can figure, they do not. Therefore, you buy a pipe
into their network based on percieved and actual connectivity and hope that
the situation remains static at best. Does ANY provider give a
"reachability" guarantee?

James H. Smith II NNCDS NNCSE
Systems Engineer
The Presidio Corporation