IP renumbering timeframe

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Thu May 9 22:05:35 UTC 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002 09:59:24 -0400 (EDT), David R Huberman wrote:

>>Is that true?  I thought the space belongs to ARIN, and they loan it to
>>certain parties.  Those parties can use the IPs in accordance with ARIN
>>rules.

>The way you've written the above statements makes them true. However, such
>a relationship does not extend to the issue you're dealing with. ARIN
>cannot dictate the business practices of its constituents.

	Actually, ARIN can dictate how its constituents allocate IP space because
conforming to ARIN's policies is one of the conditions of an IP allocation
and no ownership rights to the IP space are transferred in the assignment
process. This argument has worked successfully for myself and others when
negotiations with an address space provider turned hostile. (To my knowledge,
it's never been tested in court.)

	DS